ni una más
I went to a social justice talk tonight by Dr. Cynthia Bejarano on "Gender Terrorism at the U.S.-Mexico Border".
She talked about mass femicide in northern Mexico. She spoke of the hundreds of women murdered, many of whom worked in maquiladoras near Ciudad Juárez, not too far from El Paso.
After the talk, a young man sitting a few seats away from me asked what we could possibly do to help the situation, given the way it seemed like a challenge to aid the Mexican police, from our perspective far north of the Stateside border.
What can we do? How can we ensure justicia para Nuestras Hijas?
The speaker said that we could help support organizations such as justicia by purchasing some items being sold in the back (and so I bought a postcard and a pin that says ¡ni una más!) and that we could write our politicians and help to organize for justice in other ways.
What can I do? I'm not sure what I can do by myself, but with a bit of feminist technology and design on the GoogleAmaYahoo scale, I think we might be able to take some action collectively.
And so, I just bought a domain name on 1and1.com (my very own first domain!) and subscribed for hosting on textdrive.com. A domain name can cost you a couple of bucks a year (I just paid 6 USD for one) and hosting can cost you anywhere from nothing (without much ability to customization) to five or ten USD a month for basic hosting plans.
We'll see if I can mash-up Google, Yahoo, and eBay technologies for social justicia para nuestras daughters everywhere.
She talked about mass femicide in northern Mexico. She spoke of the hundreds of women murdered, many of whom worked in maquiladoras near Ciudad Juárez, not too far from El Paso.
After the talk, a young man sitting a few seats away from me asked what we could possibly do to help the situation, given the way it seemed like a challenge to aid the Mexican police, from our perspective far north of the Stateside border.
What can we do? How can we ensure justicia para Nuestras Hijas?
The speaker said that we could help support organizations such as justicia by purchasing some items being sold in the back (and so I bought a postcard and a pin that says ¡ni una más!) and that we could write our politicians and help to organize for justice in other ways.
What can I do? I'm not sure what I can do by myself, but with a bit of feminist technology and design on the GoogleAmaYahoo scale, I think we might be able to take some action collectively.
And so, I just bought a domain name on 1and1.com (my very own first domain!) and subscribed for hosting on textdrive.com. A domain name can cost you a couple of bucks a year (I just paid 6 USD for one) and hosting can cost you anywhere from nothing (without much ability to customization) to five or ten USD a month for basic hosting plans.
We'll see if I can mash-up Google, Yahoo, and eBay technologies for social justicia para nuestras daughters everywhere.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home