w:

feminist technology & algorithmic designs for social justice

Friday, August 11, 2006

from fab to fab

I just got my copy of Michelle T's without a net and let me tell you, it is amay'zing.

For the record, I didn't grow up working class (by the standards of the late twentieth century) and yet... well, that's another story.

I also finally got around to watching "Capote". I always thought that Capote was some early 20th century tommy-gun tootin goon, but, turns out, he wuz a writer.

I must point out -- for those of you who have seen the movie (other people skip ahead to the next para) -- Catherine Keener is the rock on which this film was built. Wowow. Swoon. Rock on, Catherine, rock on. (That is to say, non-party-time, non-party-time!)

While I'm on the topic of subject/writer/audience participation, let me point out that if you're reading this, I probably know where your office is, and if I don't, I have sleeper agents in your building that, on my command, will take action with incredible slowness on my mark, and leave questionable pieces of candy on your desk. This may or may not be a warning! Yes, you may or may not have been warned.

This is, once more, my space. It's a public secret place, a post secret place. Secure by dint of lo chia pet obscure.

Some of you have come here by way of random googlin' and some of you cuz I posted -- poked, really -- furtively on your blog.

So, to be clear, don't go around passing this link recklessly. Knowledge can be a dangerous thing, and sometimes, when you try to Do No Evil, you try too hard or are too successful, and end up giving the bathwater-baby abrasive scars for life.

Some of you work at large corporations, and some of you at universities. Be careful once more.

After all, some pasties are to be trusted, and some pasties... need more time to bake.

Here is a simple baker's guide. More of a game really.

(Instructions)

Take one step forward.

Has your pasty spent all his post K12 life at one academic institution? If you answered yes to this question, move back one.

Otherwise, move your character forward by the number of academic institutions (or companies, if that's your thing) pasty has worked at (not studied only), minus one.

Does your pasty have nice, non-sweatshop non-DO-IT shoes? Take three step forwards.

Did your pasty major in physics? Take one step forwards.

Is said pasty unable to articulate why Feynman is bad ass? Take one step backwards if you just took one step forward.

Count the number of commas in your pasty's (median) grandparent's (median) income. Move backwards that many steps, over two.

Does your pasty suck at Starcraft? Move forward two.

Unable to play foosball? +1!

Move forward by the number of dependents pasty has ever claimed on tax return, minus zero.

Et cetera. You get the point. Take a bite out of freebase linking park crime. (I have to eat now, so no more games.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home