kai fu lee and 501(c)(3)
Reading an NYTimes article titled "Google in China: The Big Disconnect", I found a pointer to a Chinese letter by Kai Fu Lee, which has been partially translated by a friend of a zdnet blogger.
I don't read enough Chinese to understand the original article, but in the English translation, Kai Fu Lee says that
He ends the letter, "I need to follow my heart."
Jia yo, Lee Kai Fu :D
I met Dr. Lee in kind of the same way I met and got to know Christos. Unexpectedly!
I was at BillG's house for a BillBQ, and got in line to get some food.
Before me in line was a Chinese man. I assumed he was one of the execs in the mass of interns.
Voice recognition, huh? He told me a bit about his work.
I told him what team I was on. A small team, but one that I think Bill thought was and will be important.
Vista wasn't Vista back then, at least publicly, and I remember seeing Dr. Lee help to present some SIGGRAPH work from MSR China. Quite impressive.
Will I follow my heart? I think I am, I think I have, and I think I will.
I've been thinking about how I shall get all (or at least some :) of this done, and I think my strategy will be to aim for Stanford calibre academics, and yet inform those projects with an eye for gender-variant diversity, with an underlying empathic bent.
I have been thinking about creating my own 501(c)(3) when I get to California this summer, once my newly minted website domain and social-justice project start picking up some speed.
It's still unclear where exactly I'll be over the summer, but wherever I end up, I won't be far from Mountain View.
Now, I wonder how you write and say "Mountain View" in Mandarin Chinese?
I don't read enough Chinese to understand the original article, but in the English translation, Kai Fu Lee says that
"youth + freedom + transparency + new model + the general public’s benefit + belief in trust = The Miracle of Google"
He ends the letter, "I need to follow my heart."
Jia yo, Lee Kai Fu :D
I met Dr. Lee in kind of the same way I met and got to know Christos. Unexpectedly!
I was at BillG's house for a BillBQ, and got in line to get some food.
Before me in line was a Chinese man. I assumed he was one of the execs in the mass of interns.
Voice recognition, huh? He told me a bit about his work.
I told him what team I was on. A small team, but one that I think Bill thought was and will be important.
Vista wasn't Vista back then, at least publicly, and I remember seeing Dr. Lee help to present some SIGGRAPH work from MSR China. Quite impressive.
Will I follow my heart? I think I am, I think I have, and I think I will.
I've been thinking about how I shall get all (or at least some :) of this done, and I think my strategy will be to aim for Stanford calibre academics, and yet inform those projects with an eye for gender-variant diversity, with an underlying empathic bent.
I have been thinking about creating my own 501(c)(3) when I get to California this summer, once my newly minted website domain and social-justice project start picking up some speed.
It's still unclear where exactly I'll be over the summer, but wherever I end up, I won't be far from Mountain View.
Now, I wonder how you write and say "Mountain View" in Mandarin Chinese?
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home