Note also that I am not trying to reverse engineer the statistical learning techniques, derive any estimates of the Google AdWords/AdSense corpus, infer the probablistic mapping function between web content terms and AdSense ads, or disparage the Google brand name or reputation, but rather my ad hoc study is an effort in consciousness raising with an eventual plan of engaging the appropriate Googlers (from the bottom up or the top down, depending on how the timing and connections go).
It is not a true experiment, as I am a sample size of one after all, and I am not consciously manipulating the statistical or linguistic properties of my blog entries in order to elicit "jacked up" ads. Instead, this will probably result in an anecdotal report of how "safe space" is supported or not supported by auto-targeted Ad systems (specifically Google, as I believe the AdSense TOS -- terms of service -- prohibit displaying other kinds of auto-targeted ads, and such a prohibition makes it more difficult to engage in anecdotal studies of how different Ad providers affect the evolution of "safe space" online).
For others that do something similar, it's worth noting that you're not supposed to click on your own AdSense ads, so you should probably type in the URL yourself, to avoid violating the AdSense TOS.
2 Comments:
At 11:39 AM,
L. Wu said…
Hmm... my recent postings seem to have encouraged the display of an ad for the Minuteman Project.
Yow!
(No need to cite the actual URL, and I might be prohibited from citing the ad copy anyway.)
At 11:55 AM,
L. Wu said…
Note also that I am not trying to reverse engineer the statistical learning techniques, derive any estimates of the Google AdWords/AdSense corpus, infer the probablistic mapping function between web content terms and AdSense ads, or disparage the Google brand name or reputation, but rather my ad hoc study is an effort in consciousness raising with an eventual plan of engaging the appropriate Googlers (from the bottom up or the top down, depending on how the timing and connections go).
It is not a true experiment, as I am a sample size of one after all, and I am not consciously manipulating the statistical or linguistic properties of my blog entries in order to elicit "jacked up" ads. Instead, this will probably result in an anecdotal report of how "safe space" is supported or not supported by auto-targeted Ad systems (specifically Google, as I believe the AdSense TOS -- terms of service -- prohibit displaying other kinds of auto-targeted ads, and such a prohibition makes it more difficult to engage in anecdotal studies of how different Ad providers affect the evolution of "safe space" online).
For others that do something similar, it's worth noting that you're not supposed to click on your own AdSense ads, so you should probably type in the URL yourself, to avoid violating the AdSense TOS.
Post a Comment
<< Home